Sunday, October 3, 2010

Paula Jane and I leave for awhile, and the whole place goes to hell

First the Cactus Cafe, now this...

I was talking to our friend Steve, from back home in Austin, and he informed me that the Pronto Mart at 43rd and Duval, catacorner to Quacks, et al, has changed ownership, resulting in the dismissal of the staff there, all of whom were really good people. I don't know all of their names, but Constance, who has been there forever (and is a poet!) and Roger (a musician!) and the rest were friendly and unique, and great ambassadors for the Austin Way of Life (AWOL, baby, and don't forget it). Steve also informs me that local neighborhood poet legend Albert Huffstickler's poem had been removed from the wall next to the door, which is unthinkable. No doubt they're charging for air now, too.

Change is the rule of life, I understand, but we don't gotta like it, do we?

(Don't gotta patronize em, either, cause from what I hear they're snippy, baldly commercial types, who probably would've been happier staying in California)...

Now, for God's sake, will y'all mind the store a little better 'til I get back home? Next thing I know, somebody's gonna make off with Threadgills or East Side Pies, and leave a couple of Walgreens in their place...

(Buncha butterfingers—sheesh!)...

No comments:

Post a Comment